How It Works
At the end of this course, you will:
- Possess a basic understanding of the different activities that are part of game design.
- Know how to approach fleshing out a game idea in order to increase the chances to having a successful game design experience.
- Have a basic understanding of how to work with game developers.
- Know what gamification is and why people are talking about it.
The objectives of the course are to enable learners to:
- Classify games in terms of technical requirements and genre
- Identify the mechanics and verbs used in different games
- Understand the different roles required in the development of a video game
- Differentiate between Games and Gamification
- Discover resources for developing a deeper understanding of game design
About Online Learning
Online learning is a fun, enjoyable and very productive way to learn. Millions of people are learning online each year. You will engage with the instructor and other participants. You will get to know your instructor and other participants. You may make friends. It's easy. It's fun.
How the Course Works
It is easy to participate in your online course. After you register, you will be given a web address to go to get into your online classroom. You will have a password and use your email address and password to gain access. Once inside the online classroom, here's what you can expect.
What You Will Do
For each Unit, you will:
Read the print readings (about 20 pages a week)
Have the option of accessing the online readings
Listen to the audio presentation for the Unit and view the slides
Have the option of taking a self-quiz to see how much you have learned
Engage in written online discussion with your instructor and other participants
For best learning, you should make one or more comments at 2-3 different times each week.
The content (readings, audio lectures, slides) and self quizzes are accessible for the entire course, so you can work ahead, or go back and review again, at your convenience.
Participate When You Want
You can participate any time of day or evening. The online classroom is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. There are no live real-time requirements or meetings. You decide when you participate.
For the best learning, participants should log into the course on 2-3 different days of the week.