How It Works
At the end of the course, you will know how to:
1. Recognize behavior characteristics of ASD and to respond positively
2. Maximize learning and success experiences for students with ASD
3. Reduce stress for the ASD student and the teacher when dealing with ASD students
4. Minimize classroom melt-downs and deal with them effectively when they do occur
5. Help integrate ASD students into classroom activities and increase social comfort of ASD students
6. Provide a secure learning environment where students with ASD can operate comfortably
7. Foster understanding among other children about differences in individual behavior
8. Communicate effectively with ASD students and understand how to best support their unique learning needs
9. Work effectively with the parents of ASD students to create a consistent parent/teacher team approach to student support
1. To convey the symptoms of ASD
2. To provide an understanding of what constitutes security in the learning environment
3. To provide strategies that will foster understanding and tolerance among other children
4. To address what interventions and strategies are most likely to maximize student comfort and achievement
5. To address how to be able to communicate effectively with ASD students and to understand how to best support their unique learning needs
6. To provide an understanding of how to work effectively with the parents of ASD students to create a consistent parent/teacher team approach to student support
About Online Learning
Online learning is a fun, enjoyable and very productive way to learn. Millions of people are learning online each year. You will engage with the instructor and other participants. You will get to know your instructor and other participants. You may make friends. It's easy. It's fun.
How the Course Works
It is easy to participate in your online course. After you register, you will be given a web address to go to get into your online classroom. You will have a password and use your email address and password to gain access. Once inside the online classroom, here's what you can expect.
What You Will Do
For each Unit, you will:
- Read the print readings (about 20 pages a week)
- Have the option of accessing the online readings
- Listen to the audio presentation for the Unit and view the slides
- Have the option of taking a self-quiz to see how much you have learned
- Engage in written online discussion with your instructor and other participants
For best learning, you should make one or more comments at 2-3 different times each week.
The content (readings, audio lectures, slides) and self quizzes are accessible for the entire course, so you can work ahead, or go back and review again, at your convenience.
Participate When You Want
You can participate any time of day or evening. The online classroom is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. There are no live real-time requirements or meetings. You decide when you participate.
For the best learning, participants should log into the course on 2-3 different days of the week.