How It Works
- Know the essential elements of news writing;
- Have the knowledge skills to write a press release or publicity notice;
- Be able to construct a news story using the inverted pyramid, 5 Ws, and other journalism techniques;
- Know how to write a good headline and lead;
- Have the skills necessary to distribute a news story or press release.
- Know the different kinds of publicity notices,
- Learn the skills involved in writing a news story,
- Know how a press release is constructed,
- Take away the ability to create a successful press release,
- Be able to write from a journalism and news perspective.
About Online Learning
Online learning is a fun, enjoyable and very productive way to learn. Millions of people are learning online each year. You will engage with the instructor and other participants. You will get to know your instructor and other participants. You may make friends. It's easy. It's fun.
How the Course Works
It is easy to participate in your online course. After you register, you will be given a web address to go to get into your online classroom. You will have a password and use your email address and password to gain access. Once inside the online classroom, here's what you can expect.
What You Will Do
- Read the print readings (about 20 pages a week)
- Have the option of accessing the online readings
- Listen to the audio presentation for the Unit and view the slides
- Have the option of taking a self-quiz to see how much you have learned
- Engage in written online discussion with your instructor and other participants
The content (readings, audio lectures, slides) and self quizzes are accessible for the entire course, so you can work ahead, or go back and review again, at your convenience.
Participate When You Want
You can participate any time of day or evening. The online classroom is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. There are no live real-time requirements or meetings. You decide when you participate.
For the best learning, participants should log into the course on 2-3 different days of the week.